Sunday, January 9, 2011

A couple o' clutches

On my "to-make" list for some time have been these gathered clutches from Anna over at Noodlehead. They're cute and easy, and don't take much fabric or time to put together. They're essentially an amped-up version of the classic zippered pouch, so if you've made one of those you can easily make these.

I had bought a roll of fat-eighths at Joann's months and months ago; they were perfect for this project as they were already coordinated and would match no matter which I chose to use. Otherwise you need about 2 fat quarters (but you have plenty left over--that's why I think it's a great scrap project). Anyway, here's the first one I came up with (and it's pink so yay!):


The busy fabric conceals the gathers a little bit so here's a major close-up:


And here's the inside:


I think it took me longer to cut everything out than it did to sew this together. It would be a great thing to make for a gift in a pinch, and if you buy the pattern instead of using the tutorial you get a few extra tips and a limited commercial license to sell (and the price was so reasonable I couldn't not do it. I know, double negative. I'm tired. Forgive me.)

So then I decided to do the flip version of this and make the background flat and ruffle the strip (so I could use my ruffler of course. It was the idea I had that I mentioned at the end of this post--very creative, I know. I hope I didn't blow your mind with that one). I don't think I'm pleased with the results. I love the main fabric I used, but I don't think it's a fabric issue. I can't quite put my finger on it. I'm not sure if I should have gone for a looser ruffle, or a less dominating color than red, or what exactly it is. Look:



See what I mean? It's cute and there's not a thing wrong with it, but there's an...offness to it. I love the yellow and red fabric, but I think my flip-it version falls a little short on the cuteness scale.

If you could leave me a comment with some raw honesty I would much appreciate your thoughts on this one. For easy comparison here's one final shot:


Thanks, lovelies! Have a good Monday (as though my saying it is going to make it happen, right? Ugh. I hate Mondays). Ta for now!

13 comments:

  1. I think they are lovely. I have a bunch of Vera Bradley handbags and accessories, so I like cloth bags, etc. Great job!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bethany. Love them both! I have been set to make some myself. Soon, very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They both turned out very cute, but i LOOOOOOVE the yellow and red one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean by it being off. I would set the ruffled bit in instead of sewing it on top of the main fabric. Bit more sewing but I think that would look much better. Oh and I found THE best nesting doll set EVER! Well at least if you are a Dr Who fan.... http://www.nerdist.com/2010/12/doctor-who-nesting-dolls/ You got to have a peek, you just gotta.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so pretty! I really do love the color combos you chose on your fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job. I love making Anna's clutches for gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your color combos! On the yellow and redo one, maybe pleating the ruffled strip would have worked better than gathering? You'd still have the visual interest but it would lay flatter and the vertical lines would be straighter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think they are darling. I especially love the pink one! I have a stack of fat eights reserved for the same project!! For me the red is just super bright against the yellow. I'd love to see one with the red and yellow fabrics switched.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. oohhh...i really like the one with the ruffled strip! very cute. i love anna's patterns :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are very cute! I would love it if you would come and link up to Fantastic Friday!

    http://ironvioletdesigns.blogspot.com

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are BEAUTIFUL!! I love the colors you used!!
    Stef
    itsallinmyheadstefsblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the yellow with the red, I see nothing wrong with it. I really need to try making one of these if they are as easy as you say!

    Thanks for linking up to Fantastic Friday, I cannot wait to see what you have created for this weeks party.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE THIS!!! How could you go wrong with a sweet clutch AND ruffles!!?! Thank you oh so much for the idea, girly!
    ~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...