Friday, May 8, 2015

Probably One of the Most Feminine Things I Own

Recently I shared these bags that I made for my cousin's wedding. I needed a bag for myself as well, but I'm not a clutch sort of person. I like something to hold onto so that I can swing the bag at someone's head of the need arises (I mean...you never know, right?). I was delighted with this bag I had made for another wedding (I have a LOT of weddings to go to this year--be warned), so I figured I'd use some of the leftovers and another bit of a lace to make a bag to match my dress (which is silvery gray lace with a light blush lining). I had to make this right away even though I have oodles of time, because I didn't see myself wanting to work with lace again once I stepped away from it. 


The original bag pattern I used had an inset bottom. Thankfully, the lovely Liz mentioned this pattern in a comment--one with a nice, easy boxy bottom.


This is so light and shimmery--I just love seeing it. It came out much better than I thought, as I really thought I'd make a terrible mess of the lace because I was just so over it.


It's not crooked, there's just nothing in it to fill it out, and I took a chance on some interfacing that was a wee bit flimsier than usual so it's got a mild case of the flop. It made the top much easier to get onto the frame as I didn't have to fight it so hard, though.


I took my time with stitching the casing and marking and measuring, as I can't imagine the new naughty words I'd have invented if I had to rip out stitches from lace. I don't know if a stitch in time saved nine of anything, unless it was years from my life as it slid right in.


This matches my dress just right, and makes me almost excited to wear it. Almost. I'm a jeans girl through and through, and don't know if I'll ever look forward to dressing up.


I have a couple of diaper bags and a finished pair of socks to show you. My afghan is growing, and I've got a shawl on the needles in some of my fancy new yarn. My sister said to me "I don't know how you can work so much! I'd go crazy!" Which is funny, because obviously this isn't work. Amiright?

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous bag!!!!!!
    I am same. Always doing something!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, it's lovely! And very suitable for assaulting someone ;-) If you slap someone over the head, do it in style, I says. Don't forget red lipstick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, my husband says the same kind of thing- "Stop working and relax a little!" But it's not work!
    Your purse came out really pretty. And yeah, good idea on avoiding ripping stitches out of lace. I've done that a bit and it doesn't end well. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful bag. Love the lace...hmmm...that reminds of several pieces of lace I have in my stash...now which tote is the lace in... Always enjoy your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful bag. Love the lace...hmmm...that reminds of several pieces of lace I have in my stash...now which tote is the lace in... Always enjoy your posts!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...