Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Woodland Wreath a la 'The Mitten'

A few weeks ago I found a lone, unadorned wreath at Joann's. Honestly, it was just so perfect I don't know how it still existed on the rack. I didn't have an immediate plan for it, but I was shopping with my mom, and she's the queen of "You'd better buy it if you love it that much or you'll regret it" so it came home with me and sat on my sewing table for a while so I could formulate a plan.


The wreath cover reminds me of sweaters and mittens and hats (not a big stretch of the imagination, considering that it's knitted).



The first thing that popped into my head was the children's book 'The Mitten.' The book is about a young boy whose grandmother knits him a pair of mittens in white yarn (she tries to tell him he'll never find them if he drops them in the snow, but he insists). Sure enough he drops one, and it ends up providing a cozy home for some cold animals, until...well, you'll just have to read it to find out (haha--like how I went all Reading Rainbow there?). The idea was short-lived as I couldn't find patterns for animals to make that would be small enough, and all the store-bought stuff was way too big. I was going to just knit some cardinals, but they ended up looking like...not cardinals. Or birds, even.

I went to AC Moore (it's like Michael's) to buy...OK, I'll tell you. Remember Colorforms? The little vinyl stickers that you arranged and rearranged to make different scenarios on this coated cardboard base that had a pre-drawn scene on it? Well, they had a Peanuts set on sale and I neeeeeded it for nostalgic purposes. It's quite fortuitous that I went, as I saw the perfect little creatures just waiting to come home with me.

I spent maybe an hour hot gluing and arranging things, and now I have the original project I envisioned. Oh, in case you were wondering, hot glue is still reallllly hot.


I know the berries look very much stuck through the loops, and they are, BUT they're supposed to be growing out of the snow.


It looks like some kind of family portrait, haha. I love their adorable little faces! I think the fox is my favorite.


I had one extra guy I bought that wouldn't fit (but he goes perfectly with the dining room window decorations), but I didn't want him to be left out of the photos as he's so adorable--


My ultimate goal was for a winter wreath, and I think it fits the bill. It has a Christmas vibe to it, but isn't so Christmassy it can't stay out after the rest of the decorations are put away.


If you don't already have it I highly recommend the book. The illustrations are beautiful, the story is sweet, and it's a winter tale that you can enjoy after the Christmas books are packed away when it's still cold enough for hot chocolate and homemade afghan snuggles.

11 comments:

  1. I'm just still over here 'eek!' ing at how cute this is! I love those little animals! And the greenery around them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have outdone yourself! Now my Wreath looks sad by comparison. I think a trip to Michael's is not n order.
    Love your little animals. I think you found the perfect peaceable little kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just too cute! Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that book! And your wreath turned out very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice what you did with the wreath. I'm wondering how you managed to get snow on the fox. Over here we're not really wreath people. Wreaths are associated with funerals or congratulations for shop openings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mum has the same shopping attitude, i love it! Love the wreath, it looks fab. I've got a couple of bunnies in the brush finsh like your animals. I bought them for the tree one year but they live year round on my mantlepiece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that book, too. The illustrations are so lovely.
    The difference between the original wreath and after you decorated it with those great natural accents is like night and day. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a confession to make. I don't like wreaths. But this one is freakin cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This wreath is so beautiful!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...