Sunday, November 27, 2011

And it only took a year! Kinda sorta....

Do you remember aaaaaaages ago when I started this blanket? Well, I finally finished it. I made a gazillion and fifty-seven other things in between, but this may be the longest it has ever taken me to finish something. I told the nephew it took a year to make, and he informed me that just because it took me a year to finish doesn't mean it takes that long to make, and I should not be lazy and play online if I have work laying around. Of course he had no problems snuggling under it as we were out on the porch just before dinner (it's been unseasonably warm here, even though we spent the weekend decorating for Christmas). I had intended this as more of a funky-Christmas blanket anyway, so it's fine by me that it's only just now getting done.

So here she is:

Wouldn't you just LOVE it if this was your actual carpet?? 

It's not a large blanket--just a nice sized throw. I probably could have made it bigger, but I think I got a bit bored with it and just ended it. I fringed one side of it, and let it sit. And sit. And sit. And then I finally fringed the other side. Gave it a wash and dry and now it is super soft and snuggly. The yarn was three one-pound bags of mill ends--a hot pink, a lime green, and white. I have no idea the brand, but it feels to me like it could be Caron's Simply Soft, but I'm not positive. I still have plenty left, and I have no idea what I'm going to use it for. 

It really is quite a simple stitch. I don't remember how many I chained, but I think it would have to be divisible by 4, plus 3 (for turning). Then it's 4 dc, 4 sc, all the way across. You turn it, do the same type of stitch in the same type of stitch (sc in sc, etc.). Then you switch colors, and do dc in the sc, and vice versa. You do 2 rows of each color, alternating the stitch pattern when you change the color.

It gives it a slightly wavy edge. I'm sure you could add a border and even it out, but I didn't as I like the look of the wave.

 I love the look of fringe but don't care for applying it. When I was younger I used to absentmindedly pick the fringe loose while watching TV. I would murder my younger self if I caught me doing that now. Don't I know how much work that is?

So that's that. I have had an insanely busy four days (I don't know when I've ever done so much work before!), but almost all the Christmas decorating is done and I can concentrate on the crafty makes that I've got dreamed up. I'm off to snuggle with tea and some crochet and watch some TV. Have a good week!

Linking up here:



21 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! I love the color choice of the yarns you used. And I bet you're super happy now that it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an absolutely beautiful blanket! I love the colors and it looks like it would be nice and warm. I MUST learn to crochet! I MUST! Will you teach me? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a beautiful throw! I too started a couple of blankets over a year ago. I vow to finish them both in 2112!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very nice! I can totally understand why it took you so long. I mean, after three months you just have 20 centimeters and then you just feel like a) Throwing yourself off a cliff (in despair as it's never gonna get finished) or b) Start another project ;-)
    So Well Done for not taking option a ;-)
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  5. A blanket made with crochet stitches? It would take me Never. The colours look like candy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like an ideal funky Christmas blanket. I used to love unravelling throws and things when I was younger too, except ours were bought cushions and throws lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blanket and it isn't how long it took you, it is the end result.(at least that is what I am telling myself about a crochet ripple that is over a year in the works!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My projects always take a while too. It's a lovely throw. I think it looks gorgeous. Well worth the wait.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty! Crocheting takes a while but is totally worth the wait. I miss the warmth of it on my lap once a project is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth!!! You have miracle hands!!! It's just lovely:D I'd die to snuggle under it!!!It reminds of my first blanky my granny had made me (I feel tears coming...)!!! You don't stop to amaze me EVERY time:D
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful blanket, I love the color combination! Well done to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's beautiful! You are making me want to pick up the blanket I started this past summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to pick at fringe too. I would murder me too if I caught myself doing that. But if I caught myself doing that then there must be a time warp or something so I probably would be thinking about something other than picking.
    That being said! LOL Do you have a pattern?? I love the look! I might have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the look and colors of this crocheted afgan! It sounds easy enough to do too! Would you know how much yarn you used?

    bee blessed
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty and yummy. Like blanket candy.

    (Hmm a blanket made of candy...)

    ReplyDelete
  16. your blanket is awsome...and yes, it would be fabulous as carpet! :) it looks snuggly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, I'm visiting from Jennifer's party at Sugar Pink Boutique, and I love your throw! The colors are gorgeous (that pink is my fave color), and love the design. Thanks for sharing the beauty with us!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is perfect for Christmas! I love the colours, especially the pink and that wavy design is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the pretty colors, Bethany. And I think it's totally worth all the work, time and effort! We are featuring it today in the blog, FB, Twitter and Pinterest. ^^)

    thanks a lot for linking up at the party. hope to see you again this week! ^^) And don't forget, votation for week 2 finalist will start today and will end next friday.

    hugs,
    Lelanie

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is AWESOME~!

    TracyAnn from www.crochethappy.com and http://asktracyann.crochethappy.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...