Sunday, March 13, 2016

Murder Mystery Quilt Along: Block 3

When I was in school I would come home and do my homework right away, and then find other things to do. Then, close to the last minute, I would work on long-term projects that were assigned. As I went through college I got much better at doing a little here and a little there so when it was the night before an assignment was due my mother wasn't plotting my murder and wondering how Mrs. Get-it-done-early conceived such a procrastinator. Now I have proof that sometimes it's better to wait.

The second Wednesday of every month is when the new block for the Murder Mystery Quilt Along is released. This month I shot home from work, got my workout in (I have a weight-loss bet going on so I have to be more diligent about it), and promptly assembled my quilt block. The next day there were a few comments in the Facebook group from people saying the applique didn't match the diagram, and was it correct? (I was so eager to sew I didn't pay any attention to it). Turns out it wasn't, and as I had fused my applique down (and it was leaving residue behind when I tried to peel it off) I ended up having to redo a small section of it. See, Mom? Waiting a few days would have been better (please note this is the first time in a trillion years I've been able to make this contrary argument).

Anyway, all is now well, my block is finished, and while I'm not wishing time away I am eager for the next block (this is surely a lesson in patience). So here it is (this one is called 'The Log Pile:')


For some reason I'm having a wicked time getting the green to show up correctly, but it's a nice limey-moss green, much brighter than the photo shows.


As you can guess the brown strips represent the logs (I think. I mean, in this block they do but in the overall layout I don't know what they represent). I had the center wood-grain fabric in my scraps, but I did have to buy a few fat quarters for the other two. I like how they have a little bit of a tree bark look to them. I was trying to make this entirely from scraps, but I did end up buying those and some more green. The background color looks like it will be quite dominant and I didn't want to have too many greens in the final quilt as my stash is quite slim.

In other news it was quite a downer of a Sunday--nephew number one (who is now FOURTEEN!!!) is officially taller than me. In inches. I have to look up at him now. And then, of course, no more Downton Abbey. Ever again. I did get my tax refund, though, so it wasn't all terrible.

Here's hoping for a happy Monday, surrounded by people shorter than me, and plenty of tea and flapper dresses (wishful thinking).

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing what your mystery quilt ends up looking like. Rather a strange looking block so far and I wonder how it will relate to the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you taller than me? I'm 166cm. I hope I'm taller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might be surprised at the number of times I wished I had procrastinated but didn't! ;-) Of course the opposite is also true. =) I love that wood-grain fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have met this with mystery projects before. The worst part is when people notice a mistake and the designer tells them they are mistaken. In my experience, the designer has the problem.
    This is going to be a very interesting quilt.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...