Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Review: Your Sharpie Style

Recently I was sent a copy of a new book to review for you lovely folks.


Your Sharpie Style by Deborah Green popped through the mail slot in a timely fashion--as you know I've been dabbling with doodling lately and this book is chock-full of ideas and inspiration. There is a wide variety of projects, from bowls and glasses to boxes and gift tags, and lots more.


Now you would think I would know of the huge variety of Sharpie markers available as I'm in charge of ordering stationery at work, but you would be wrong. I thought there were a lot of colors and tip shapes, but there are also fabric and oil-based markers for drawing on a variety of surfaces.

I didn't do any of the projects in the book (yet) as I've been quite busy lately, but I do have a few favorites. I did read through the directions, though, and they are clear and simple to follow, with little tips and hints scattered here and there for ways to customize your project or finish it off just right.


I don't know what it is about this, but I think it's super adorable. I think it's because it reminds me of this Korean girl I knew in seventh grade who used to have the cutest stationery doo-dads, things you just couldn't find anywhere. When you asked where she'd got it, she'd always say "Korea," like one might say "Target." I do love a cute little zippie case (you could actually make something similar by following this tutorial), but I love this quick and easy way to personalize one.


Do you remember those plain white sneakers they used to sell for a couple dollars back in the day (we used to call them bobos)? My mother was loathe to let me wear them as they were just not good for your feet, but when you're in middle school and everyone is wearing them with their scrunched socks and pegged pants you begged until she caved. We even used to sing this silly song about them (to the tune of Bridge Over the River Kwai): "Bobos, they make your feet feel fine. Bobos, they cost a dollar and a dime." But aren't these so much cuter?

But this one here might be my absolute favorite--decorated sunglasses and a matching case (I will always be twelve years old on the inside).


This is just a teeny sample--there are projects for paper, wood, plastic, fabric, and glass (scroll up to the photo of the cover for a teeny sampling). The directions tell you which type of marker to use for best results, and how to set the ink if necessary (sometimes heat sealing it in the oven, sometimes applying a sealant). And there are cute little doodle break-downs to show you how to create the figures used in the samples:


Sharpies are widely available in stores and online, and have a crazy amount of colors available. The one thing with Sharpies, though, is that they're not exactly odor-free, so if this is something you're interested in make sure to do this outside or in a well-ventilated area.

You can find Your Sharpie Style here.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know where you are going to find the time to try all those cute things. Good thing it's a long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those sneakers! How do you get people to send you books to review? Are you on some sort of list? I think it would be fun to do a book review, especially for a book I really liked. Looks like some cute things in the book.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...