Thursday, October 20, 2011

Gettin' CRAZY up in this joint

Before I show you my quilt block I'm going to show you a picture of the spider that ruthlessly tried to kill us last night. Brace yourselves.


Oh, it's there all right. Under that cup. You just have to visualize it. He was very evil.So evil I couldn't risk getting close so I had to zoom in, which is why this is a tad fuzzy. Even though all my photos are fuzzy lately because Blogger is sometimes a bugger, eh?

Onward, folks. This week's quilt block was a crazy block. You basically just sew random stuff to a fabric foundation. I had some verrrrrry thin white sitting in my stash so I used some of it for the foundation. I used a lot of my scraps which are squares and strips already, so I didn't have to cut a ton. I didn't want to hack into my yardage just for curvy pieces, so this isn't all lunatic crazy, but a more controlled kind of crazy, like a kooky aunt kind of crazy.


It was harder than I thought because my color palette is quite limited. As I was going along I was thinking all sorts of petulant things: "I haaaaate this. This isn't comfortable! I'm not having fun!!" And at the end I thought "Hey, I rather like this block!" It's very random and super scrappy and makes no sense, but I guess that's the point.


The one part that was weird to get used to was that on some pieces you sew down one edge, but on the other you have to fold under the edge and topstitch. There's a bit of planning required to make the crazy work.

This is my favorite part. That big red patch was just too red and too bare, so I used one of my decorative stitches on it. I'm trying to think of what I can use this on for something Christmassy because it's such a pretty stitch.

I tried another decorative stitch but it doesn't stand out too well on the prints. I do like this photo, though.

This is where I got a little crazy--see that slight curve? Yeah...I'm out of control.

I was going to skip this block. I was feeling pretty crappy all week (finally feeling better!) and it just didn't intrigue me, but I'm glad I did it. Out of all of the improvisational blocks this one is probably my favorite. Which is funny, because I was quite dreading it.

I'm so glad it's almost the weekend. I felt so blah for the past week this is the only thing I got done. I hate being unproductive. Hopefully I can catch up a bit this weekend. Ta!

6 comments:

  1. Come on...I wanna see the evil spider!!!
    LOVE what you did to break up the red with your dec stitches!!! So cute! Love this block!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I absolutely detest spiders I still wanted to see it, every autumn we get the most freaky, large, hideous spiders, honestly they look half spider have snail as they have some huge hump on their back, ewwww, now I'm freaking myself out!

    Moving on to nicer things, the block looks great, love the colours, sometimes I just love sewing randomly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that block is super cool! That would be a great sort of technique for a bag too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazy quilting is hard. The experts make it seem so easy. How can you be scared of a itsy bitsy spider? (I mean I get it - I am scared of plenty of stuff) But the spiders? One flick from your fingers and they're DEAD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you made your block!! It looks absolutely amazing!!! Oh Beth your quilt is gonna look fantastic in the end!! I just can' t wait!!!
    About the spider I totally get you but my biggest fear is cockroaches!!! I can die instantly of fear and gross-ness!!!! Uuugghh!!! Hate them!!!
    Hope you have a great creative weekend girl:D
    xoxoxo
    eleni

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Beth!
    First I must comment on Jane P's.
    Jane, do you really actually touch the spider with bare skin??? If so, you are really brave.
    Beth, the trouble with using the red cup to trap the spider is that you can't see where the sneaky thing is when you go to kill...er I mean...release it.
    Always keep clear plastic cups on hand for just that purpose.
    The only good thing about spiders is that they jump start your heart and that lets you know that at least your heart is still working right. LOL!
    Beth thanks for sharing with us.
    Lois

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...