Sunday, October 23, 2011

That 70's Scarf

I came home from work Friday and didn't feel like doing a thing besides putting on pants that have a stretchy waistband and vegging out on the couch. I didn't want to think about setting up the ironing board and the cutting mat and getting to it. I decided the best thing for my laziness was to sit on the couch and hook a bit. I had a bit of yarn left over from my cushion, and I wanted to try my hand at a ripple pattern, so I whipped up a quick little scarf. It's a little too early in the season, I know - but I want to wear it already. It's waaaaaaay retro looking, with the colors and ripples, and it's super soft and cozy as well. I dig :)


I've made one ripple project before, and it was a wee bit of a mess. It ended up being ok after some creative weaving in of ends to hide some messy edges, but it put me off for a bit. I had so much fun making this one - it was quick, easy, and the ripple is just how I wanted it to look. I used Lucy's tutorial, found here. I have had such fun poking around in her archives - everything is so bright and cheery and cozy. If you've got a minute or several, I think her blog is a place definitely worth a visit.


The last ripple blanket I attempted was a single crochet pattern. The resulting blanket was so stiff it stood up by itself and only relented to cuddliness after a wash and dry. This is a double crochet that works up nice and neat and soft (even if you've got a bit of a tight hand like me). I washed it anyway just to see if my woven-in ends would stay woven in. I forced myself to weave them in properly this time. Weaving in ends is the part of any yarn project I detest more than anything else, but I yelled at myself to do a proper job of it and finish it off properly. I'm happy to say they stayed woven in. Little victories, eh?


I do wish I hadn't placed my blue and green next to each other - they flow into each other a little too closely, but it won't keep me up at night. I thought my sister might want this, but she said it's too much of a rainbow for her, and that she is looking for a new winter coat so I can make her a matching scarf then. Gladly! Since the weather cooled all I want to do is curl up on the sofa with Charlie on my feet and hook away. My sewing machine hasn't been calling to me as much as I've been yelling at myself to get to work at it. I have to have my sewing finished by Thanksgiving. I sew in the dining room, and when Christmas comes and vomits on every surface in our home (and I say that lovingly and excitedly) I pack up my sewing gear for all but the smallest/quickest of projects. Time is so scarce in December for sewing that it's a nice break, but I do have some small hand-sewing projects planned for myself.... Anyway, it all must be finished by Thanksgiving, so I must be a bit more disciplined with things.


I'm almost finished a special-order handbag. I just have to put the shoulder straps on. That was my plan for today, but there was a family crest emergency. Next post, folks. I need bed.

Linking up here this week:

Skip to My Lou *** Sumo's Sweet Stuff *** Pinkapotamus *** Ask Anna *** Sew Can Do *** Craftomaniac *** Homemaker on a Dime *** C.R.A.F.T. *** Running With  Glitter *** Sarahndipities *** Sugar Bee Crafts *** All Thingz Related *** Creative Itch Boutique *** Funky Polkadot Giraffe *** Chef in Training *** Tip Junkie *** My Girlish Whims *** Sew Much Ado *** Blue Cricket Design *** Free Pretty Things for You *** Tea Rose Home *** Someday Crafts *** Somewhat Simple *** Fireflies and Jellybeans *** Suzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom *** Today's Creative Blog *** Between U and Me *** Creation Corner *** The Shabby Nest *** While He Was Napping *** Tatertots and Jello *** Be Different Act Normal *** To Sew With Love

24 comments:

  1. You are a young version of me! Lucy rocks! Check out some of the crochet blogs on my roll!! Love the scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun scarf! And I totally get where you're coming from, I've been procrastinating on a few sewing projects because I'd rather curl up on the couch under a blanket and knit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool scarf!! Make sure you wear bell bottom jeans and some kind of rib cord jacket with it. Yeah baby!
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that scarf, and laughing just a little bit at the Christmas vomit. I can say that quite smugly, as the owner of less than 10 Christmas ornaments (all koalas and kangaroos), and a bigger Christmas koala. They kind of creep out and squat for a while in front of the TV, then they crawl away and hide again till next year. Christmas happens either at my gran's or my parents' house, so I let them deal with the decorating headaches ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's adorable and lovely colours too! I just love Lucy's blog I could live in there it's so homely and just plain beautiful.
    I've never done a ripple before it's on my (ever increasing)list of my things to do!
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cute! I love the ripple and the colors

    Mary @ Crocheting the Day Away

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything about this scarf! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhh!!! come on!!!Stop posting such cute knitted things!! I'm jealous!!! I want to learn to knit and crochet asap like Kim Basinger did in that movie remember?? ( I can't recall the title), she was an alien, she'd put her wrist in a book, and she had instantly read it!! So!!!! can I plsssss learn how to knit till December so I could make some cool handmade gifts??? Pal-ease!!!????Think NOT!!!!
    Beth that wool scarf is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!
    xoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so sweet and retro. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome job! It's getting pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SUper cute. I love the colors and the pattern. I so wish I could crochet!
    liZ
    (simplesimonandco)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is beautiful! I wish I had talent like yours!!!

    Take care,
    Christina
    designingbynumbers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I ... LOVE ... IT. The colors and the design is absolutely gorgeous.

    Love for you to link up at:
    "Made by ME" Linky Party at JAQS at http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/10/made-by-me-4-linky-party-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it!!! I really need to learn to crochet :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! I'm going to show it to my mom, she's the crocheting expert. I want one of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! Its so unique. I love the pattern and the fun zigzag shape. Perfect activity for stretchy waistband pants vegging :) Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, I'm new to your blog and came over via a link to this post from SugarBeeCrafts. I love this! And I can't wait to try it! I'm pretty sure there are a couple of people that I could make it for.

    Thanks for sharing!
    <3 Jenn
    jenn-mcclure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am totally feeling this 70's scarf! I just remade a {1973} table this week. Caught the 70's bug I guess.
    Kim @ Too Much Time

    ReplyDelete
  20. How fun!! Very cheerful colors too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I featured this post today on my blog! Thanks for sharing! :D

    www.betweenuandme.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I featured you today on my blog :)
    http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/11/made-by-me-5-linky-party-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. so pretty! I love the colors! Thanks for sharing this with us, we are featuring it on the blog, Facebook and Twitter today!

    Have a nice weekend!


    Hugs,
    Lelanie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...