Thursday, November 17, 2011

Starry Night Quilt Block

I adored making this week's block. I had the afternoon off from work last Friday, so when I got home I put on comfy pants, made some tea, and sat down to work on this. I was going to be slick and cut the fabric the way I thought it should be done (because you know how well that works out for me), but it was way too small once stitched. So I did as told and it couldn't have worked out better. I had a few....moments...when I was trying to figure out what faced which way and lined up where on the paper. The most satisfying part of paper-piecing is when you tear off the paper at the end--you sew with a wee stitch that makes the paper easier to tear without yanking out the stitches; it's just like ripping a perforated piece of paper off a notepad.

Anyway, I've got nothing more to say, so here is the 'Starry Night' quilt block:


I've been using a lot of my cherries-checks-dots combo, so I switched it up and went with none of them this time. And can we take a moment and admire these points?


Yeaahhhhh....that's some matchy-matchy sweetness right there.

I've got an interesting paradox happening with these blocks. With the earlier blocks that were supposed to be easier it took me forever to sew them and I made a lot of mistakes. With these more difficult blocks I'm having a much easier time and making hardly any errors. It's either the amount of attention I'm giving it or my level of arrogance, but I'll take more difficult blocks if the results are better.

It's been a pretty quiet week on the craft front here. I finished up a quilt for Christmas but I'm not going to share until after Thanksgiving. It's so sweet I could eat it up, though...pun intended. You'll just have to wait and see.

I have a My Memories software giveaway going on right now, so check that out here. There's a new Christmas printable on my 'Printables' page. And the next time I see you I'm hoping to have a no-sew purse frame tutorial all wrapped up for you. Ta!

3 comments:

  1. I just love the fabrics that you've used. As you could've figured... I like red, kinda ;-)
    Have a great weekend,
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohhhhh its beautiful and fab points too lol!
    It's bizarre that the more difficult the easier it is to do, it must be that you are meant for better things, like sewing royalty!
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay on the fab points, I love paper piecing for the nice crisp edges and points!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...