Sunday, October 9, 2011

Itty Bitty Change Purse

I do love making frame purses. At a certain point, the bad language commences because they can be fiddly, but at the end I always think "Ahhh, yes. How I love making these." They're one of those things that don't take much to make, but can have a big impact. I usually make them with a six-inch frame, or with the sunglasses frame. But the last time I placed my order I tossed in a few smaller change purse-sized frames (they're three inches wide). They've been sitting for a while, but this week I puttered about and figured out a good pattern.

Now, I had ordered a kit previously for this size, but put the directions aside and made an iPod holder. The frames I had now were (unintentionally) the same size, so I figured I'd use the pattern this time. That was promptly put aside again. I've never seen instructions for constructing a purse this way - the lining and outside are sewn together in the most difficult of ways, and I sat there muttering to myself the entire time. I kept going with it thinking there'd be some incredible revelation and purse magic would happen. I didn't even finish it, I was so displeased with it. Plus it was so tiny and weird I couldn't sew the gap in the lining shut - I wasn't wasting a frame on this one. Here you can see how tiny and shapeless it is:


I reworked the pattern a little bit, but ended up making it way too large for the frame - I tried to make it work, but it would have looked terrible forced into the frame.


Aren't those fabrics cute? But that piece that angles off the top is way too long. Back to the drawing board. And this time I met with enough success that I popped that baby into the frame. It needs to be a slight bit smaller on the side, which I'll do in the future, but for a sample it's still perfectly fine. It's essentially my own pattern now, which I should have just sketched out from the beginning and saved time and fabric.


Isn't that cute? Look how wee it is! And note that I have small hands, so it being the same size as my hand doesn't mean what it does for normal-sized handed people. I blame my lack of success at the piano on my short fingers, NOT on lack of practice, by the way.


I love this fabric combo, so if you're thinking that you've seen it before you're absolutely correct. I used it in my sew-in frame tutorial here.

Look how little it is compared to the larger ones I make (even though those are considered medium-sized):


I do love the shape it came out, so I'm glad I just went off on my own and didn't follow the pattern. And one can smuggle the other inside it - I don't know where one purse would be smuggling another into, but at least in theory it is now possible should such a thing need to occur:


I'm off to enjoy the rest of my day with Grandma and the girls (i.e. my mom and sisters) and then head home. I didn't get much knitting done, but some is better than none. Besides, I was talking and eating. How am I supposed to stitch when I've got cheese-filled cake in my hand? Seriously, guys. Think about it. See you soon!

Linking up here this week:

Skip to My Lou *** Sumo's Sweet Stuff *** Pinkapotamus *** Ask Anna *** Sew Can Do *** Craftomaniac *** Homemaker on a Dime *** C.R.A.F.T. *** Running With  Glitter *** Sarahndipities *** Sugar Bee Crafts *** All Thingz Related *** Creative Itch Boutique *** Funky Polkadot Giraffe *** Chef in Training *** Tip Junkie *** My Girlish Whims *** Sew Much Ado *** Blue Cricket Design *** Free Pretty Things for You *** Tea Rose Home *** Someday Crafts *** Somewhat Simple *** Fireflies and Jellybeans *** Suzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom *** Today's Creative Blog *** Between U and Me *** Creation Corner *** The Shabby Nest *** While He Was Napping *** Tatertots and Jello *** Be Different Act Normal *** To Sew With Love

22 comments:

  1. Both are gorgeous Bethany!
    I'm going to find a frame online and have a go at making one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany, those are precious! I need to try my hand at putting one of those in!!! Are they hard?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are delightful, you have my admiration they do look very fiddly.
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them!! Must try them one day...
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just love them. The fabics are gorgeous and so fun. You amaze me with your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still remembering all the pain from the one I made. Good job keeping at it. I would have given up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too cute!!! I love the little cherry one :)

    Cass
    http://casscansew.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute, and well done for figuring it out. I have a frame at home, I've never tried one, but I'm thinking of creeping up on it. Sideways. With the wind behind me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look so cuteeeeeeee!!!!!!eeeeekkk!!!!!especially the cherry one:D <3<3<3<3!!! uugghhh!! Remember I told you almost a month ago, I've ordered some frames to try your tut?? They still haven't arrivedddddd!!!!! I' m so frustrated..I hope this package isn't lost too!!!
    You did an excellent job again Beth!!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanted to let you know that I'm awarding you the Versatile Blogger award! Because I think you're pretty awesome (and not just because your name is Bethany too!) Check out my post to accept your award. http://afishwholikesflowers.blogspot.com/2011/10/apparently-im-versatile-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very Very Very cute!

    Hop'n by from 'Creative Bloggers Party & Hop'. I'm following your blog now, wont you please come and follow me back?? ~KM

    Krafty Max Originals

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! I love the cherry one! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. love! Little things are always so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That cherry fabric is amazing. Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the response, Bethany... Sorry I thought my email was on there! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable! I love the fabric as well! Where is it from?

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is amazing!! I love your fabric choices too! I'd love if you linked the change purse up to my new link party! It is so sweet!

    www.daysofchalkandchocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is so adorable! Love it! The fabric is a great choic and it's just so cute. I'd be thrilled if you'd link this at my 'think pink' party!

    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/welcome-to-week-6-of-falling-for-crafts.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for linking your sweet purse up to Latest and Greatest Friday! They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. so cute, Bethany! thanks for sharing this with us! have a lovely weekend...


    ^^)Lelanie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...