Sunday, November 13, 2011

Too soon?

You know how it's annoying when you're out shopping on July 12th and they've already got holiday stuff out? I hate to admit it, but with sewing you've got to be just like retail and stay ahead of the calendar. I'm trying to be a little more "in" the season that it actually is, instead of going too far ahead. But as I don't have much time for sewing after Thanksgiving I've got to do Christmas now. This week I plowed through four stuffed Christmas trees (like last year's).

Based on previous experience, I was mentally set for this to take me forEVer. I was picturing several late nights, and that feeling that I was never going to reach the end. But I slapped the ric-rac on all 4 trees and had them all assembled in ONE. NIGHT. It took me just as long to stuff them another night (thanks for the help, Mumsy!), and to hand-sew the openings shut  on another, but they're all done. It's my last large order for the year, and it felt good to be finished.

So here is my own little forest:


Well...I guess they're someone ELSE's little forest as they're being given as gifts by my buyer. And the fourth one is the same as one of the others so that's why there's only three in the photos. I love the fabric combos:

Here's your much more traditional bright red and green.

 This one is a little more toned down--the red has holly leaves on it but I failed to capture that.

 When I laid out the fabrics I wasn't crazy about this one, but once assembled I really liked it.

The one thing I had a MUCH easier time of this year was the ric rac. Last year I laid it down along the edge and sewed through the center of it. When I sewed the seams only the little humps were showing. This year I laid it down about a quarter inch from the edge and basted it, just catching the bottom of it. When I sewed it all together the just-right amount was showing. Yay for new skills!

 You can see a little more of the holly in this pic.

I took a half day from work on Friday, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I have next week's quilt block already finished, as well as a small order that completes my to-do-for-others list for the year. There's a Christmas quilt under the needle that will be finished this week, and I'm hoping to have a tutorial for my wee little change purse up for you by next weekend. Isn't it great to finish things up?

Now I'm off to get ready for Monday, and do a little knitting while I watch 'Elf.' I know...it's too soon, but I LOVE that movie :)

Linking here this week:

19 comments:

  1. Since Halloween is officially over and because this is a sewing project I'll let this Christmas themed post slide... this time. (just kidding)

    These little trees are so cute!!! I love all the color combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter in law has already decorated our lounge room. I thought it would be unbearable but, you know what, I don't mind. At least we will enjoy the glitter until we go away on Dec 27th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are so pretty I was debating if I should put the xmas tree ups this week so it will be one less thing to do before Thanksgiving.

    Would luv for my readers to discover your blog, will you please join our weekly party at
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-showcase-tutorial-with.html
    have a great crafting week!
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I know what you mean. I am so annoyed when I see holiday stuff in stores by September. But this year, as I am on a 'I wanna make all my pressies myself' spree and making presents voluntarily for an old folks home and an orphanage in Japan, I have found myself stitching Xmas and Sinterklaas pressies already. I need to quit my day job!! ;-)

    Love the stuffed Xmas tree and yes, please have your tutorial up soon. Like I need more creative ideas. Hahaha!

    Have a good week!
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I have one of those trees unfinished at home from about 5 years ago - oops! I don't know why I never got round to finishing it either, other than, perhaps, the fact that I don't decorate for Christmas (which begs the question, why did I start in the first place?!)

    Your wee forest looks great though, and I'm sure they'll be appreciated by their recipients.

    I will admit to having started watching the Christmas 24 film channel since it fired up a couple of weeks ago though... :oD

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable! I'd love for you to link up at my party Stitch n' Niche Saturdays: http://www.coffeeandtheirkisses.com/2011/11/stitch-n-niche-saturdays-7-features.html.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I hate it. These are so adorable though. Would love for you to stop by and link up to More the Merrier Monday.
    Jamie
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never too early for Christmas... love the your forest of trees :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The detailing is really beautiful and your fabric choices too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the rick rack detailing I'd love it if you would add this to my blog party at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just adore these! I have always, always, always wanted to make some but I am sewing machine challenged! Yours are beautiful and I love the ric rac embellishments.. just lovely!
    Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo party.. can't wait to see what you share next!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bethany, I love your little forest. They are so cute. Thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following. Please stop by mine and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  13. so pretty, Bethany! we are featuring this on the blog, facebook, twitter and pinterest today!

    have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This stuffed tree is the best form/shape of others I have seen. Where and how to get the pattern? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This stuffed tree is the best form/shape of others I have seen. Where and how to get the pattern? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was so happy to see the fabric stuffed Christmas Trees! I am a fabric junkie! This tree can show-off beautiful Christmas fabrics and I have loved it more each year I
    see them! Where and how can I get the pattern so I can try to make them?

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is no link to the pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there--there's a link at the end of the first paragraph that will take you to a brief tutorial on how to make these. Within that tutorial is a link that will take you to the template.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...