Wednesday, December 31, 2014

In With the New

Well, here we are on the last day of the year (but if you live on the other side of the world I guess you're on your first day of the new year). I find myself not dreading the passage of another year, which is extremely unusual for me. I am usually so very much in love with December and all things Christmassy that I could literally cry when faced with the end of it all. Not so much this year. December was a bit of a crazy month, and while I normally look forward to my time off of work I find myself a bit stir-crazy this year and not dreading going back at all. I have no idea what that is all about...

I realized this afternoon that I had picked up a few bits here and there that I never shared with you. I'm a big fan of folk art and almost can't help myself when faced with it for purchase (and only do so when the cost is really prohibitive). So here are a few acquisitions that didn't break the bank (but at the same time leave people asking "Did you really need that/another one?"

I told myself I was not buying more nesting dolls. And then promptly forgot about that promise. There was something about the colors of this set that drew me in.

This one I wanted purely for the sweet little faces. And because it seemed like a more economical choice than the $130 alpaca shawl that was hanging near it....

Again with the sweet little face. And the cute teeny knitting. The vendor must have thought I was half-gone as I spotted her, walked up, pointed at it and said "I want that." Not "How much is this?" or anything a normal person would say, but one step away from walking up and taking it. I couldn't help it. I was excited.

I certainly do not need a thermometer/barometer Bavarian chalet. But I neeeeeeeeded it. Mostly because of the deer and the mushroom.

This last bit I shared a snippet of on Instagram this morning. Every year my grandma insists on sending us all a little bit of money, no matter how much you plead with her to just spend it on herself. Usually I cash the check and spend it on everyday things. But this year I thought "I am going to Joann's and see what I can find for me." And I found this:


It's a flower loom set. Ages and ages and a few moons ago my mother made oodles of loomed flowers for her first Christmas tree. Every year, when decorating the tree, I examine them and say "I can't figure out how you made these..." This year she decided to pipe up with "Oh, I used a little round loom." So when I saw this on the peg at Joann's I snatched it up and marched to the cashier. My mother saw it and said "Yeah, it was pretty much like that." So this morning I used up some scrap yarn from a questionable bird ornament I crocheted and got the process down.


There are a few different ways to darn the centers securely. The white one was my first attempt--one go-around with the yarn makes a very open flower. The pure red was my second attempt going around twice. My backstitching in white was a hack job so it's not too tidy. For the red and white one I used the smallest circle, and used two strands held together. I then followed the directions for how to backstitch these and it came out just right (fancy that--reading the directions...). Good thing I ran out of yarn at that point because once you get into the swing they're kind of addictive. You can use yarn, ribbon, raffia, I guess any long bit that can be wrapped around the loom.

So that's that for now. I want to wish you all a very happy new year! Just think of it--a whole year's worth of days spreads before us, with no mistakes in it yet...

2 comments:

  1. Wait, what is this following directions that you speak of?! I don't suppose you are going to suggest that the rest of us follow the directions now, are you? ;-) Those flowers are really cute though.
    You pick up the cutest things! I love the doll knitting. And obviously you needed the nesting doll set because they are snowpeople instead of the typical little women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I have similar issues in craft fairs, I've been assiduously avoiding the European Christmas Market in the city centre since mid November for this reason!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...