Saturday, August 6, 2011

Sew-In Purse Frame Tutorial

Sooooooo...the little zippy purse I keep my lunch money in (what am I? seven?) has gotten pretty cruddy. If it didn’t have teriyaki sauce and salad dressing dotting the surface it would be pretty dingy looking anyway. I picked up a few sew-in purse frames at Joann’s the other day and figured I’d make myself a new one. Then I thought you might want to learn to make one too, so here’s a tutorial.


The brand on the frame package is “Everything Mary” and the little change purse size measures 2 ½ inches across the top and 3 ¼ inches across the bottom with a slight curve. I used scraps of fabric (you need exterior and lining) and fusible fleece (sew-in will work but I like fusible best). In addition to basic sewing stuff you’re going to need some strong thread to sew the purse to the frame. I gave Perle Cotton size 5 a whirl and it worked well.


Draw the Pattern
Let’s be adventurous and sketch out a pattern for ourselves. Even if your frame is a different size these instructions will work as long as the frame is a sew-in frame). Lay the frame down on a sheet of paper and trace around the outside edge (skip the clasp part and just connect the lines when you’re done tracing). Now, around the outside of this, draw a line a ¼ inch away (this is our seam allowance throughout). Make a marking at the top of the little side hinge (it’s about ¼ inch up from the bottom of the frame and is what the pink dots are in the picture below). This part is what we will be sewing into the frame so it needs to be precise.
Everything from the hinge on down is up to you. I went for a basic trapezoid shape (a square won’t leave you much finger-wiggling room) but I think a circle would be really cute too. If you want to make the version I'm making click here for the template. Make sure your scaling option is set to 'none.'

Cutting
Once your pattern is set cut out 2 for the exterior, 2 for the lining, and 2 of fleece. Fuse the fleece to the wrong side of the exterior fabric. If you’re using sew-in you might want to baste it, or just be generous with the pins when sewing it together. See those pink dots on the pattern? You’re going to want to transfer those to your fabric or mark with a pin...like I haven't done yet in the photo below.


Sewing the Purse
Take your exterior pieces, right sides together, and sew from one marking, around the bottom, stopping at the other mark. DO NOT sew across the top yet.


Now we'll create a flat bottom for the purse. Poke out one of the corners of the bag and flatten to create a triangle. Make sure your side seam and bottom seam are lined up. Draw a line that is one inch across. Sew across that line, and trim the excess. Repeat for the other corner.

Just a note: that IS a different fabric in this shot. I forgot to take a photo of this step so I did it while making a different bag. Just wanted to let you know you're not seeing things :)

Sew the lining the same way as your exterior, but leave about a 2 inch gap in the bottom for turning. Press the side seams open as best you can (it helps with the next step).

Put your lining inside the exterior – right sides should be facing each other. Match up the side seams as best you can. Sew around the entire top. Go around one flap, across the side seam, and then do the other flap and side seam.


This isn’t a very large piece to sew, and so the sides can get a little fiddly where it makes that bit of a y hinge. If you’re not feeling like doing this with the machine you can hand sew either the entire thing or just where the side seams are. I’ve done both methods and the end result is the same – it’s just whatever method feels more comfortable to you. Once you have that situated, pull the bag through the gap you left in the lining.


Push the lining down inside the purse. Make sure the corners are all poked out and the top is nice and neat, and give it a nice press. Now, take your frame and make sure it fits well around the top of the purse. If not, make whatever adjustments you need to. If it's too big/small it's going to be frustrating to sew in--ask me how I know.

Sew in the Frame
Once I know my frame will fit I like to sew the gap in the lining shut either by hand or by machine. It’s easier when you don’t have the added weight of the frame getting in the way.


Now, you just thread your needle with the sturdiest stuff you have that will still fit through your fabric, and sew. To start I bury the knot, and then come up through the lining.  Now go down through the first hole in the frame coming out on the outside. Then you just go up and down all the way around the edge, pulling it snug. It will look like you’ve skipped some stitches on the outside but when you get to the other end you simply stitch yourself back to the beginning, filling in the gaps.


I sew this with my needle at an angle so that I can do a better job of concealing the stitches under the frame. Once you're back at the beginning and all stitched make a knot and try to bury it. If that's not happening try to hide it under the frame (confession: this is the only part I cursed at, and it was a mild oath at that :) Give it one more light press and you’re done! Cute and quick, and really not that pricey for a sweet little coin purse!


Here's the other one I made - I really love this one. I am such a sucker for anything cherry. And hey - don't ask me how I can take the exACT same template, do the exACT same thing with it, and have one end up a half inch taller than the other. It's a secret that I'm not willing to share right now.



If you have any questions let me know! Happy sewing!

Linking up here:

44 comments:

  1. I just bought this exact frame today. Thanks for the tutorial.

    megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh!!! I went yesterday downtown for some fusible paper!!! Thanks for the excuse for more shopping:) Heheheeh !!I love it Beth!!! That cherry fabric is deliciously adorable)
    I hope I'll find this sew in frame somewhere downtown!!! {cross my fingers}!!! Have a great Sunday :)
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cherries are always in season in the sewing room! I love your little purses..very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Love your "open to interpretation" portion of your pattern...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This purse is so cute! I really like the cherry one! Thanks for sharing a tutorial on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too stinkin'cute! Where did you get the frame?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this very nice tutorial! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is pretty! The scallop details of the frame are darling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your tutorial. I can make good use of it because I have a frame for a long time and I did not know how I could make a purse of it. So thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tutorial! I saw this on the Polkadot Giraffe and came over for a closer look... I'm a sucker for cherries, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post made me smile. Thanks for inspiring me and many others to even attempt this feat. Really appreciate that you linked up at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute, cute, cute! I'll bet you've never had a craft fail in your life! Just wait, it's gonna be ugly when I show it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the fabric and it is just so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never knew how to do this so thanks so much for the tute! I will be pinning this for later use.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the tute. I just saw these frames at JoAnn's so I'm off to buy one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such cute purses, I have a bunch of the glue in frames, major fail, probably should have started with these, can't unpick glue!

    Thanks for sharing the tutorial, might have to find some of these frames!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you SO much for this tutorial! These claspy thingies are nasty buggers ;-) I'll see if I can work one out soon!
    Have a good weekend! Esther
    http://happyinred.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. what cute little purses! love the cherries too. Came over from To Sew With Love, and would love if you visited my post too End of Summer Purse

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful purse you have made. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Were do you get the frames?

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is so cute, Bethany! We are featuring this on the blog today. votation starts on the same day and runs until friday next week. grab a featured button if you fancy so ^^)

    have a lovely sunday.

    Hugs,
    Lelanie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I bought one of these frames a year ago and have never had the courage to make one. After seeing your tutorial I'm going to try it. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  23. THANK YOU!!!!!! Great pictures and great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope you don't mind I have shared your blog, specifically this page on my fb page. I am a crafter from Australia and now live in Beijing so have started a little findings store and a few people wanted to know how to use purse clasps. If you don't want me to use you tutorial I will remove it so please let me know. I actually loved your comment about the lunch money it made me chuckle which is why I was drawn to your tutorial as opposed to others. Cheers Helen

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so happy, to have found this tutorial! Great, how you show how we can use it for different sized frames. Off to be able to work on my 22nd zakka project.
    And what a beautiful bag sew along you have. Definitely want to make it one day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for this! I'm about ready to made my 1st frame purse & this really helps!

    ReplyDelete
  27. lol,I have the same secret.........lol

    ReplyDelete
  28. http://aquilterstable.blogspot.com/2012/08/zakka-along-week-22-pleated-coin-purse.html Quilters Table sent us to check out your great coin purse tutorial for our Zakka sew a long, thank you, it helped out.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the silver heart frame, so very cute. The tutorial is greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for the tute great pictures too. I cant wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very pretty! Question: How come I don't see stitching on the inside of the frame?

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm new to using purse frames. I wasn't sure how to measure the fabric for the frame. You made it real simple.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I sew want to make one of these, it looks like something simple enough that even *I* could do it! Have to get a frame! Pinned it so I can find it again! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  34. when you insert the lining do you have to turn it round first as I didn't and it came out back to front..?

    ReplyDelete
  35. When you put the lining and outside together to sew them together, you should have the right sides facing each other (so everything looks inside out). When you pull everything through the gap in the lining everything will be right side out.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial! Making my first change purse was much less daunting following your instructions. I posted pictures on my blog and linked back to your tutorial. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This week, I made a tiny one for a keychain. I had to draw my own pattern for this one, but your tutorial was SO helpful. I certainly appreciated the pattern you provided all the more! Thank you!

      Delete
  37. These banners provide a large, effective and informative display and can be made to the businesses design choice and style.
    banner printing

    Thanks for sharing...!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great tutorial! I already knew how to make them, but your writing was so wonderful i just kept reading! Now I will have to make another one myself after seeing those beautiful cherry fabric purses... and read the rest of your blog, of course.... :D

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanku so much for the tutorial. I bought a purse top and thought it would have clear instructions in but I didn't understand what they meant so I Googled it and came up with your really easy to understand tutorial. Wouldn't be able to do it without u. Just got to wait for the material to arrive now x

    ReplyDelete
  40. I needed this tutorial.I bought several frames because they were "cute". :D I never knew what to do with them. Now I do. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great tutorial. Thank you for being specific and not assume viewers understand how to make points you might leave out. I'll use this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thank you for such a clear explanation. I love small projects that I can do with care, but don't have to give up time I should use for other duties. I'm off to make a pattern for my frame now. If no one has seen them, these sew in frames also come in a full handbag size of about 9 inches. They're just large enough for a cell phone, keys and maybe a card wallet. Happy crafting!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...