Thursday, September 29, 2011

Come and Knock on My Door

This week's quilt block's instructions were "make a house and a tree." Done and done. I felt six years old again. Or twelve. Or twenty-two. I'm severely limited when it comes to things I can draw, and have always always always drawn the same things. A bird. A rainbow. A flower that looks more like a lollipop. And a house with a tree next to it. If you asked my mom to pull out all my old drawings that is invariably what you would be looking at. My entire artistic life would appear to have been in preparation for this quilt block. It's in red and white, so it's not as realistic as my crayon and marker drawings, but I like it, and I'm a wee bit proud of myself - these improv blocks are not in my comfort zone. Look at the odd shapes you have to throw in there just to square things up a bit:



OK, so triangles aren't really odd as far as shapes go, but it's not the nice and tidy look I like. I tried to keep everything as square as possible so I wouldn't have to sew on too many crazy shapes and have a butt ton of seams like last week. My favorite part was the window - I should have made a few more, but they were tiny pieces and quite tedious to sew.


And here's the whole shebang -


It's like there's a crazy cherry blizzard going on, and some cherry smoke coming out of the polka dot chimney. Must be nice and cozy in there. Contrary to my go-with-it philosophy, I did redo the tree portion of this. The first tree was huuuuuuuge, and left me without room for the border. I did not like it at all without the border, so I reworked it just a little bit and I think it's much better. I didn't realize until just now that I forgot to take a picture...

My new even feed foot arrived today and I can't wait to use it! Hopefully the next thing I have to show you is a finished Little Apples quilt. Happy Friday! It seems like it took forever to get here. I'm still in shock that September is outta here....

6 comments:

  1. You are making me want to get to quilting!!!! Nice blocks!! Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love your choice of colors and patterns! (I have a weakness for anything polka dots!) I can't wait to see it all completed. It's BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love houses anything. Even tho' I'm pretty good at drawing (in my opinion), when it comes to houses, I draw like a kid. Every single time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful! I love all the patterns together, those cherries are so sweet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute house. I signed up for a paper piecing bee, and my first blocks are girls in dresses - eek!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww it looks pretty, could almost be christmassy if the cherrys were snow flakes!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...