Thursday, October 6, 2011

Green Mountain Star

Quick post today because I've got to finish packing for a girls' weekend at my grandma's! Very looking forward to sitting and knitting and reading and eating and chatting and....and...something that rhymes with chatting. This week's quilt block was a bonus. We didn't have to do it, but it was kinda like extra credit...the kind of extra credit that doesn't really count for anything. So I guess it's more 'enrichment' than 'extra credit.' I'm figuring that if I have a few blocks I am highly displeased with I'll have a few extra to play around with in my final layout by making the bonus blocks. Or maybe I'll make two quilts - one of the really good blocks, and one of the others that aren't so great. Anyway, I was pretty tired of doing the improv stuff, so I went with a traditional block called the Green Mountain Star. I don't know what I did because I tried to focus on what I was doing, but it's got a bit of the wonk going on. I do love these star-in-a-star quilt blocks. They look so much more intricate than they are.


OK, the wonk isn't crazy obvious and overall I'm quite pleased with it. There is one snafu--I trimmed some of the rows before I sewed them all together, and at the end it was too short in one direction. So I practiced my improv skills and just sewed a strip of the dots up one side:


I'm noticing a disturbing trend with these blocks - I'm getting WORSE as I go along. It's like I'm having my own skill demolition quilt along instead of a skill building QAL. Someone left me a comment months ago with a phrase their mother used to say: "If you want a perfect quilt, go buy one." I like imperfect. It's more human. It's more me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Have a wonderful weekend! And in case you missed it, don't forget to enter my fabric giveaway!

7 comments:

  1. You're absolutely right! Imperfect is absolutely perfect and generally shows that a lot of manual work and love went into making something. Perfect is mass-produced in China! Nothing against the chinese people though... I wish you'd stop pointing out your mistakes to everybody though! Nobody but you can see them anyway, so why not leave us thinking what we do anyway: that your work is in fact fantastic. Have a great girlie weekend and be sure to take some pics of all the work ;-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you hadn't mentioned anything I really wouldn't have notice any 'imperfect'. But I agree, perfect is just to 'perfect' I want to see that someone actually put time and effort into something rather than churned out dozens of identical items.

    The star looks wonderful, love the choices of fabric too!

    Have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I hadn't noticed the additional improv piece either until you pointed it out. Super pieced bits scare me, although I think I've got over the trauma of the 2 bordered cross blocks from the ATS QAL. I've never yet tried triangles, I have a sneaking suspicion they may end up somewhat, err, blunted if I do lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks perfect to me. Love the reds. Have a great time at your grandma's house. ( Chatting and Sha....) never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep..it's official now. YOU are a quilter! Hey, I was at Joann's yesterday, drooling at the quilting machines. Should I....should I...should I????????

    ReplyDelete
  6. This block is amazing, esp from far and I didn't even notice the error.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful and I didn't spot a problem. It's so fiddly and intricate I just don't think I could manage it.
    kandi x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...