Saturday, December 10, 2011

Sweet Enough to Eat

I almost completely forgot about posting this. I've had some sinus headache business going on, and some shopping/sitting in traffic tiredness to sleep away, and then some cleaning up of the junk I tend to leave here and there throughout the week. But now I've laid out my Christmas quilt, and taken some horrible photographs for you. Sunlight, clouds, indoors - it doesn't matter. I'll never be able to consider a photography career.

So...onward! I ordered a few layer cakes (because each was only half size) of Riley Blake's 'Christmas Candy' (hard to find except for a few prints now), and then used the Cluck Cluck Sew Easy Bake pattern (with a few changes), and whipped up the yummiest Christmas quilt you can imagine (fabric-wise--my eyeballed stitching leaves something to be desired, and I tried a new binding technique that left me less than in love, but hey--if things were perfect then it wouldn't seem like Christmas, would it?


It's hugely busy and mish-moshy, but the pink and the lime green and the red, and the white, and the polka dots (!) are so very me and how I perceive Christmas.


The quilting was all straight-lined and easy peasy--about a half inch on each side of the seam (which in some sections is straight through the middle of a larger fabric square). It makes a really neat pattern on the back, and may be one of my favorite quilting patterns.


The backing is a green sheet (that isn't showing as green as it actually is). I like quilting with sheets. Quilt backing is expen$ive, and when I've finished piecing the quilt top I'm not really feeling like piecing the backing. A cotton sheet is a perfect solution for that.


This quilt screamed for red polka dot binding. I don't know of anything that would have been more perfect. I used some that I'm not using in my red and white quilt. I'm not a fan of the actual process of making bias tape, but I do love that perfect finishing touch that it gives as opposed to store bought.

Don't look too closely at the stitching of the binding. It might make you ill. I was too lazy to rip it out and start over (because I was finished at that point). But I will never bind a quilt this way again, that's for sure.


My usual method is to stitch the tape to the front, then flip it and pin and stitch it down in the back. I do the neater stitching on the top so anything icky won't really be seen. I saw a method where you stitch it onto the back, then down to the front that seemed easier. Easier isn't better, and I'm not fond of the outcome as the part that you see (on the top of the quilt) is the part that's wiggly in spots.

Overall, though, I adore it. I love walking by the living room and seeing it draped over the chair. I love the prints. I love the binding fabric. I love the quilting. I love that I can't actually eat it because I have a hard enough time avoiding sweets.



Now I must trot. I have to get ready for church (I love church during Advent) and then we're all heading out for a yummy family Christmas-time dinner.


See you soon, my lovelies!

Linking up here this week:

24 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous quilt. I am so in love with that fabric! Very Christmassy, great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flippin' darling!!!! LOVE the polka dot binding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love it! The hot chocolate is the BEST. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's gorgeous, especially with the red polka dot edging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just gorgeous Beth!!! Yummy!!! Adorably sweet!!! Lovely wanna cuddle quilt!!! You did it again!!! That polka dot binding just Killed me:) I LOVE it!!!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous! I adore the colours :)

    Katy
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. ¡Preciosa! Me encantan los colores y la combinaciĆ³n de telas que escogiste.
    Feliz Navidad

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this! I love the colors and the polka dot edging is perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is lovely! I have no idea what you're talking about with regards to the binding. It looks beautiful to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this quilt. I just started quilting. Will be following your blog. Want to see more pretty quilts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty! Will you link it to my Handmade on Humpday link party over at
    http://createdbycori.blogspot.com/2011/12/handmade-on-humpday-5.html
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I love every little thing about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! Love quilts and you did a beautiful job :)


    Love for you to share it at my linky party here: http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/12/made-by-me-10-linky-party-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous set of quilts. Love the way you mixed all the patterns but the kept the colour scheme uniform.

    Thank-you so much for joining our Pin’Inspiration Party today. Your creativity is very much appreciated.

    Happy follower, would love for you to pop by to grab a button.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh how yummy & I totally agree the dot binding was the PERFECT ending!

    Would love to have you swing by for a visit sometime!

    www.northerncottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such eye candy!!!!!! Gorgeous quilt - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty. I especially like the dotter border....Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. My grandmother also quilts and it's on my bucket list to complete a quilt. I made a bag ;) I am a new follower and your blog is too cute. I look forward to reading more posts. I'd appreciate it if you stopped by my blog and followed me back. Thanks! http://milliemorganmedia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your fabric choices and the idea about the sheet backing. Thanks for linking to Sew Can Do's Craftastic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your Christmas quilt. The colors are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. as sweet as candy, indeed! thanks for sharing, Bethany! Have a lovely week...

    Hugs,
    Lelanie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...